Speaking to reporters, the President of Kazakhstan stressed that the state visit to Uzbekistan coincided with the opening of the Year of Kazakhstan in Uzbekistan, and noted that these events will serve to further strengthen bilateral relations between the countries.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev highlighted the role of the First President of Kazakhstan – Elbasy Nursultan A. Nazarbayev and President of Uzbekistan Shavkat M. Mirziyoyev in strengthening and developing Kazakh-Uzbek relations.
- They managed to open a completely new page in the history of cooperation between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and bring our relations to a completely new level. For my part, as the Head of Kazakhstan, I intend to ensure the continuity of the policy of Elbasy and continue the development of comprehensive Kazakh-Uzbek interaction. This is confirmed by the Joint Statement of the Presidents inked today by us, which reflects the key achievements and further horizons of our cooperation, the Head of State said.
Noting the high level of trade and economic cooperation between the two countries, the President of Kazakhstan stressed that various measures would be taken to maintain such a high rate.
- We have underscored the need to search for new niches and expand the product range. Our goal lies in ensuring the growth of mutual trade up to $ 5 billion by the end of 2020, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said.
In the context of industrial cooperation development, the Head of State noted that thanks to the business conditions created, the number of Kazakh-Uzbek joint ventures is growing.
- Successful examples of such interaction are projects on joint assembly of cars, trucks and other equipment in Kazakhstan. Taking into account the special significance of this sphere for our economies, we have reached the agreement on continuing active work in this direction, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev also noted the successful holding of the Forum of inter-regional cooperation at the end of last year and stressed that such meetings offer great prospects to the two countries.
- The issue of creating the International Center for Trade and Economic Cooperation on the border of Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan has been considered separately. This project’s actualization will streamline cross-border trade, improve the access control infrastructure, as well as create a large trade and logistics hub in Central Asia, the Head of State said.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan focused on cooperation in the field of fuel, water and energy, cooperation in the field of export-import, transit transport, expansion of cultural, humanitarian and youth contacts.
In conclusion, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev expressed satisfaction with the results of the talks held and indicated that the implementation of the agreements reached would further develop cooperation between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan in the traditions of friendship, trust and good neighborliness.
In his speech, Shavkat Mirziyoyev noted with deep satisfaction that the talks with Kassym-Jomart Tokayev were held in a spirit of openness and complete understanding, during which the parties confirmed the unity of the long-term goals of developing relations, thoroughly discussed the bilateral cooperation agenda, regional and international issues, and also stressed the importance of strengthening joint measures to counter new threats and challenges to security.
- I would like to express my gratitude to the distinguished son of the Kazakh nation, the First President of Kazakhstan - Elbasy, my brother, the esteemed Nursultan A. Nazarbayev, for his huge invaluable personal contribution to strengthening Kazakh-Uzbek relations and expanding multi-dimensional cooperation. Kazakhstan’s all impressive achievements in strengthening statehood, forming a strong civil society, establishing a modern and competitive economy, and increasing the country's authority in the international arena are connected with his name, the President of Uzbekistan said.
In addition, Shavkat Mirziyoyev said that the Road Map will be signed to implement the agreements reached during the visit.
The state visit resulted in the following documents approved by the sides:
1. Joint Statement of the President of Kazakhstan K. Tokayev and President of Uzbekistan Sh. Mirziyoyev;
2. Agreement between the Government of Kazakhstan and the Government of Uzbekistan on labor activities and protection of the rights of migrant workers;
3. Agreement between the Government of Kazakhstan and the Government of Uzbekistan on cooperation in combating illegal migration;
4. Agreement in the form of exchanging notes on the procedure for recognizing official documents confirming residence issued by the authorized bodies of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan within the Agreement between the Governments on the avoidance of double taxation of income and property;
5. The Program of Cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Uzbekistan for 2019-2020;
6. Agreement between the Ministry of Defense of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Defense of Uzbekistan on cooperation in the field of air defense;
7. Agreement between the Ministry of Defense of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Defense of Uzbekistan on organizing reception, aerodrome and technical support and protecting military aircraft at military airfields;
8. Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of National Economy of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Investment and Foreign Trade of Uzbekistan on establishing Central Asia International Centre for Trade and Economic Cooperation;
9. Memorandum on Cooperation between the Ministry of Information and Public Development of Kazakhstan and the Committee on Religious Affairs under the Cabinet of Ministers of Uzbekistan.